Re: Devanagari

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 00:57:39 EST

In a message dated 2002-01-20 20:49:00 Pacific Standard Time,
jameskass@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Usually, when someone offers
> a large body of plain text in any script, files are compressed
> in one way or another in order to speed up downloads.

This is why I really wish that SCSU were considered a truly "standard"
encoding scheme. Even among the Unicode cognoscenti it is usually
accompanied by disclaimers about "private agreement only" and "not suitable
for use on the Internet," where the former claim is only true because of the
self-perpetuating obscurity of SCSU and the latter seems completely
unjustified.

Devanagari text encoded in SCSU occupies exactly 1 byte per character, plus
an additional byte near the start of the file to set the current window (0x14
= SC4).

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California