RE: Norwegian sorting

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 11:32:11 EST

Tex Texin wrote:
> The point that interests me in all of this, is even though the phone
> books sort this way, it seems not too many Norwegians (among
> this crowd anyway) would think of looking for Mller after Mylius.

Probably, in most towns, all people whose name begins by Mu-, Mü-, and My-
are on the same page, so they would be found anyway.

In Italy, we have an encyclopedia that sorts J together with I. This
encyclopedia is found in all public libraries, and practically everybody has
used it several times back at school time. But no Italian I asked ever
noticed this unusual I/J unification, and most of them just replied "So
what?". And this is not surprising, considering that the practical impact is
very little: anyway, words beginning by J are more or less in the middle of
volume I~K.

So, it is not at all surprising that you or other people on this list know
such subtleties much better than average native users.

_ Marco