Re: [Very-OT] Re: ü

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 10:52:57 EST

Michael Everson a écrit :

>> ----------

In some dialects (around Liège and Verviers) it is still pronounced
today for words of Germanic origin (haut, honte, etc). As far as the
words of Latin origin are concerned, I don't think they ever were in
French (and in Anglo-Normand such as honour) since Latin lost this
phoneme relatively early (from memory). Old French writes honte, haut,
hache, honir (soit qui mal y pense) but onor (honneur in Modern French),
om (homme in Modern French). H for Germanic words, no h for Latin words.
The silent H was reintroduced by "scholars" and clerks in Middle French
and English got that nice H in honour.

> By the way, I pronounce the h in philharmonic.

I believe this is not what my Webster and my Fowler's Modern English
Usage recommend.

Friendly,

Patrick