Re: TC/SC mapping

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 15:43:37 EST

John,

> This is the kind of mess that has discouraged anybody from doing a
> systematic survey of simplifications for the Unihan database.
>
> > The other example (U+8721 kTraditionalVariant U+8721 U+881F) is a
> > mistake--the TraditionalVariant should only be U+881F.
> >

> Actually, no. Both KangXi and the Cihai list U+8721 (蜡) as a traditional
> character in its own right, although I assume it's rare as I can't find it
> in my other dictionaries.

Oh what tangled webs.

First of all, we have "wax", Mandarin la4

  Traditional form: U+881F
  Simplified form: U+8721

Then we have "maggot", Mandarin qu1, of which Cihai claims that Shuowen says:

  Vulgar form: U+86C6
  Correct form: U+43E3
  Archaic form: U+8721

  My Taiwan and PRC dictionaries both claim U+86C6 for "maggot", so
  that would now be considered both the Traditional and Simplified form,
  with U+8721 being an obsolete, archaic variant for it.

Then we have "yearend ceremony (of Zhou dynasty)", Mandarin zha4

  Traditional form: U+8721

  Not listed in my contemporary PRC dictionary.

And yes, this is the kind of mess that has discouraged anybody from
doing a systematic survey of simplifications for the Unihan database.

--Ken