[OT] Broken monetary settings in MS Works (was: Standard Conventions and euro)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:39:05 EST

Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> On my experience, however, the current practice of having one "monetary
> settings" record for each locale is completely broken. This practice

> assumes that, e.g., Italians only need amounts in liras or euros.

At home, where I use MS Works (4.51 IIRC) and Windows 95 (with Y2K and
Euro patches) the new year brought a bad surprise (or should I say:
revealed a severe design error in MS Works?):

When I changed, in the Windows system locale, the monetary setting to
Euros, all monetary amounts in all my Works spreadsheeds were effektively
multiplied by 1.95583 (i. e., Works simply displayed an €-sign in place
of the former "DM"). Incredible!

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz