RE: Standard Conventions and euro

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 16:34:23 EST

> This goes double for the practice of assuming only one legal date format
> for each locale. It's really laughable to read, for example, that the
> U.S. ONLY uses m/d/yy. I know lots of Americans who use m-d-yy or
> m-d-yyyy, and I use yyyy-mm-dd without confusing too many people.

As a matter of fact, if you type a year in Word in Office XP, it offers to
complete it to today's date. If I type 2002, Word will insert 2002-03-01
(today).

And then some computer practices contradict the official word. (I am sure
the computer practice comes from some official ISO thing where there was a
country representative, but...). For instance, the date formattinf for
France is d/m/yyyy. However, the French Imprimerie Nationale (National
Printing Agency) says, in its _ Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à
l'Imprimerie nationale_, that dates should be written d-m-yyyy (which is
what my French BibTeX style does).

In those cases, what are people to do? Ideally, I'd like to follow my
country's typographic rules, but if all my software, except the one I write
myself, goes against that...

So should we conclude that there are some date formats meant for printing,
while some are meant for data entry and display, the latter being the ones
that are in our locale tables?

YA