[OT] Re: Month names

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 11:09:35 EST

> And when somebody (from Japan, Korea, China, etc)
> trying to use month numbers - he must understand,
> that traditional calendar system in this countries are _different_.
> What months you will try to number and from what you will start?

This is an inherent hazard of using an all-numeric system. It must be
understood which calendar is in use. If I write "January" or "Tishri"
or "Ramadan," the calendar in use is implicit. (But I am also
language-specific, which is a disadvantage of names.)

When I write 2002-03-04 to mean today (Monday), I am using ISO 8601
notation, which is specified as indicating the Gregorian (not Hebrew or
Arabic/Hijri) calendar. But you are correct that other numeric systems
could conceal the calendar (although the year, if present, usually gives
it away; this is the year 5762 Hebrew and 1422 Arabic/Hijri).

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California