Re: Encoding Elvish scripts may be the road to Mordor?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 05:37:30 EST

At 13:08 -0800 2002-03-14, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:

>My point was that the connotation of mystical, imaginary things, things not
>of the real world, is inescapeable. Even *in* The Lord of th Rings, Sam and
>Boromir are both shown as examples of Hobbits and Men who know little of
>elves and they approach them with a bit of awe/wonder and skepticism.

Och, yes, but not because the Eldar are winky little Christmas
sprites. Because they are deathless, powerful beings of a different
order of creation then Men and Hobbits are -- within Tolkien's own
literary universe.

>If Tolkien had this mentioned in his BOOK, its not unreasonable to realize
>people might be skeptical in the real world.

I think we're well able to refute the scepticism of any of these
mythical critics, with regard to the encoding of these scripts in
Unicode.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com