Re: Synthetic scripts

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 20:14:10 EST

On Saturday, March 16, 2002, at 08:08 PM, Curtis Clark wrote:

> At 04:45 PM 3/16/02, Doug Ewell wrote:
>> But right away that definition includes not only Shavian, Tengwar,
>> Cirth, Klingon, and most of the contents of ConScript, but also
>> Ethiopic, Cherokee, Canadian Syllabics, Gothic, Deseret, and maybe Yi
>> Syllabics, all of which are already encoded in Unicode.
>
> And iirc Cyril and Methodius were people, although their script was based
> on Greek and continued to evolve.

Well, not to mention Hangul.

Basically, the place where I personally would draw the line is between
having a body of people (size left vague) who want to interchange data in
the script, or if there is a historic body of literature in the script.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/