Re: Talk about Unicode Myths...

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 18:34:53 EST

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, David Starner wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 05:55:41AM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:
> > Isn't this kind of attitude
> > that makes people like Ohta-san angry?
>
> I think what makes Ohta-san angry is that the Japanese didn't get to
> make Unicode. When reading his complaints, I always remember that
> they're coming from someone who put forth ISO-2022-INT, an
> 'international' encoding that supports only Japanese and Chinese well.
> (And maybe Korean.)

 ISO-2022-JP-2 tries to encode Japanese, Chinese(simplified, tranditional)
and Korean coded character sets for mail exchange. As an framework for
encoding multiple coded character sets with swtich,escape sequence, etc,
ISO-2022 should be able to encode all the registered (with ISO registry)
charater sets. Of course, I'm not saying that tedious and stateful
ISO-2022 should be used in place of Unicode/ISO 10646.

  Jungshik Shin