Re: Euros and cents

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 11:07:07 EST

Kevin Bracey scripsit:

> I see the EU have tied themselves up in knots over this. Personally, I'm
> quite happy with "euro" as a plural, as "euros" is pretty ugly (and why
> shouldn't it be "euroes", like "heroes"?).

Only a few -o words have -oes plurals, and mostly older words (cargoes,
tomatoes, buffaloes, e.g.). Newer borrowings (egos, embryos, geckos,
infernos, innuendos, jumbos, macros, pianos, rhinos, etc.) mostly have -os.

> currencies, such as "yen", albeit with the excuse that they were foreign
> words.

GROUCHO: How old are you?
GUEST (an Asian-American): Thirty.
GROUCHO: Is that in years or yen?
GUEST: You don't measure years in yen.
GROUCHO: No? *I* have a yen to be thirty again.
        --_You Bet Your Life_

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com