Re: Euros and cents

From: Werner LEMBERG (wl@gnu.org)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 00:05:01 EST

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:32:16PM +0000, Kevin Bracey wrote:
> > I see the EU have tied themselves up in knots over
> > this. Personally, I'm quite happy with "euro" as a plural, as
> > "euros" is pretty ugly (and why shouldn't it be "euroes", like
> > "heroes"?).
>
> Here in the US, I don't think I've ever heard euro as a plural. My
> German teacher was passing euros (yes, auf Englisch) around class
> today, not euro. "Having 3 euro" seems very unnatural; having 3
> euros or euroes or even euren (analagous to children, boxen, Vaxen,
> oxen) would be more natural.

At least in Austria, we have both plural forms `Euro' and `Euros'.
The former is used in phrases like: `Das kostet 3 Euro 40 Cent'. The
latter is used to actually count Euro coins, i.e. the phrase `I habe
drei Euros' means that I have three 1-Euro coins.

Living in Germany I can confirm that noone is using `Euros'. In
general, plural forms are not used for monetary units.

    Werner