Re: apostrophe vs. modifier letter apostrophe

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 10:48:56 EST

On 03/26/2002 05:31:56 PM Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>> Some of these uses can be avoided by circumlocution, but the language
>> gets very stilted if that is always required. Font differences can
>> sometimes be adequate to avoid the separator, but not always. You may
>> find some people using a hyphen instead of the apostrophe, but some
>> sort of separator is almost required for legibility. In this context,
>> plural "s" is only one of the affixes of interest.
>
>Exactly. This is a case where usefulness in practice is gradually
>overwhelming the "Thou Shalt Not" prescriptivists.

Note that I wa's mainly suggesting that Marco could have chosen other
example's that aren't controversial. A's for Ken's apostrophe's, he can do
what he want's with them. (But "lambda's" as a plural definitely seem's
excessive to me. :-)

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>