Re: Thai character names

From: Art - Arthit Suriyawongkul (Arthit.Suriyawongkul@sun.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 00:51:27 EDT

Hi,

> ] the Thai character names look like this:
> ]
> ] 0E01 THAI CHARACTER KO KAI
> ] 0E02 THAI CHARACTER KHO KHAI
> ] 0E03 THAI CHARACTER KHO KHUAT
> ]
> ] I wonder what the `ko' and `kho' parts actually mean, since the `kai',
> ] `khai', etc. final parts already define an unambiguous name for the
> ] particular character.
> ]
> ] How do Thai people alphabetize a word? Do they say `ko kai', `kho
> ] khai', ... or do they say `kai', `khai', ...?
>
> We do say 'ko kai', 'kho khai' , .... since the 1st day we learn Thai
> language in school.... ;)

yep, there're two parts of it.

(1) (2)
(ko) (kai)
(kho) (khai)
(kho) (khuat)

1st part tell us the 'phonetic' of that alphabet.
(in this case, semi-syllables of 'k-', 'kh-' and 'kh-')

2nd part tell us the 'visual/shape' of that alphabet.
'kho khai' and 'kho khuat' both give the same semi-syllable,
but they differ in shape (see unicode chart).

2nd part made it clear which alphabet we're talking about.
-- may be it just likes 'A for Ant', 'B for Boy', .. .
(anyway, each English alphabet doesn't share the same
 semi-syllable. so, it is not necessary to do that :) )

Art :)