Re: Q: How many enumerated characters in Unicode?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 10:54:05 EDT

On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 07:27 AM, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Oh, thank you! I needed that figure to make a point why you cannot make a
> single TrueType font covering all of the Unicode range. I knew it was way
> more than 65,536, but it's better to quote a precise figure :)

Ah, but the figure Ken give you isn't enough, anyway for two reasons:

1) Some scripts (e.g., south Asian scripts) will require additional glyphs
for proper display.

2) For Han in particular, one shape does not fit all. You'll need
multiple locale-specific glyphs for a number of characters.

In real life, you can ignore (2) by simply issuing a locale-specific
version of a font, but there's no real way to get around (1).

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/