Re: Running Japanese programs under Win2K

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 11:23:17 EDT

From: "Stefan Persson" <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se>

> I have the English edition of Windows 2000 Professional, and I'd like to
run
> some Japanese programs. Some programs, e.g. Internet Explorer and MS Word,
> work properly, while other display square boxes, question marks and/or
text
> misinterpreted as Windows-1252.
>
> So: how shall I solve the above problems?

You are using a non-Unicode program, and such a program requires the default
system locale (cf: http://i18nwithvb.com/win2k.htm) to be Japanese.

Word and IE are Unicode programs so this change is not required there.

> And: how shall I do to type Japanese characters? IME for Japanese
> (http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuild/ime5_win32/en/ime5_win32.htm)
> doesn't work: I get a message telling me that it doesn't work with this
> version of Windows.

The IME is built into Windows 2000, you do not need extra downloads for it.
You can simply add it to the list of input locales.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/