Re: Runic file names

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 22:48:34 EDT

Tex Texin <tex at i18nguy dot com> wrote:

>> I tried to use some runes in a file name under Win2K. The file name
now
>> looks like square boxes. I have a runic Unicode fount that works fine
in
>> Internet Explorer. What do I need to do in order to display the runes
in the
>> file name?
>
> Are you displaying supplementary characters?

The Runic block is at U+1680, so Stefan's problem should have little or
no relation to supplementary characters.

Michka's solution seems reasonable. Windows (any version) uses global
font settings for displaying file names in Windows Explorer and common
dialogs, so Stefan would need to specify his Runic-enabled font in
Control Panel.

BTW, please write "font," not "fount." The former is preferred in all
contexts when referring to computerized typesetting, even in Continental
usage where "fount" may be used for lead type. This is analogous to the
spelling "program" which is preferred for a set of computer
instructions, even in locales where television viewers watch a
"programme."

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California