Re: Sync/Seek-robust UTF-7

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 01:02:54 EDT

Rick McGowan <rick@unicode.org> exclaimed:

> No more UTFs!
>
> At least please don't start mentioning your proprietary bit-twiddles
in
> public with the "UTF" acronym anywhere nearby.

I suppose the "U" might make people think these experimental thingies
have some official status with Unicode. Fair enough. What if we just
don't call them UTFs? What about ETF-such-and-so, for Experimental
Transformation Format?

Or XTF. Yeah, "X". XML, XFL, X-Games, Gen-X, XTF. It's an X world out
there.

Building your own CESs and TESs can teach you a lot about Unicode and
its "real" UTFs. Distinguish the real UTFs from the toys and the lab
experiments, yes. Terminate all exploratory research, no.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California