Re: Hexadecimal characters.

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 14:20:48 EDT

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Eric Muller wrote:

> For the scripts which have their own digits, are there conventions to
> write hexadecimal numbers with those digits? If I read a Devanagari text
> book, will I see "20A7", or "२०?७" (where "?" stands for whatever is
> used for A)?

In Iran, where we always use the U+06Fx digits (Extended Arabic-Indic),
hex is written with European digits and uppercase Latin letters. I have
seen a few people use Persian digits with Latin letters in handwriting,
but I have yet to see a single book published using such things.

There is also another fact which may be interesting. My father, when he
was a high school student, had some advanced mathematic course, where they
also studied computation in base more than ten. They used Persian digits
for zero to nine, and lowercase greek letters alpha, beta, ... for digits
more than nine.

roozbeh