Re: Chromatic font research

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 11:55:28 EDT

William Overington <WOverington at ngo dot globalnet dot co dot uk>
wrote:

> I am not knowledgable about Ethiopic manuscripts or Arabic letters.
> As many of the uses have a cultural and sometimes religious
> significance I felt that it would be respectful to those situations
> to use a purely ornamental example for experiments, one with which
> I am familiar because of the use of metal type ornaments with a
> hand press as part of a hobby interest in letterpress printing. My
> feeling was that if the technology could be produced, then, once
> soundly based using experimental examples, the technology could be
> employed in a correct cultural and religious context by those with
> the appropriate knowledge to apply the technology correctly in
> those situations.

For once, I agree with William about something. The problem of
unintentionally causing offense is well known in the field of i18n/L10n
(and not just for software, either). Unless you are sure what you are
doing, it is often better to use an artificial example for demonstration
purposes than to risk misusing a real example.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California