Re: Chromatic font research

From: Sampo Syreeni (decoy@iki.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 13:33:49 EDT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>As *characters*? Why?

National flags are a far cry, true. Naval signalling ones perhaps aren't.
They stand for characters and I believe in some variations for entire
well-known concepts. They are utilized in a way we would expect characters
to be. I don't think the entire collection of flags used around the world
coincides neatly enough with an already encoded script to be considered
pure glyph variants. And colors are certainly meaningful in this context.

(I can't fathom why anyone would want to encode those, though. Anything
you can do with flags you can do with ordinary characters, only more
efficiently. However, this could serve as an example of a script which
relies on color as an essential feature.)

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111