Re: Chromatic font research

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 11:33:47 EDT

William Overington <WOverington at ngo dot globalnet dot co dot uk>
wrote:

> Peter Constable wrote as follows.
>
>> It may so seem to you, but this definitely is *not* in the spirit
>> of that definition.
>
> May I enquire please as to your reasons for saying so? The document
> does not mention markup.

There is a fair bit of material that needs to be mastered in order to
understand Unicode, and to a lesser extent any other modern character
encoding system. The Technical Report on the character-glyph model, by
necessity, assumes that the reader has the necessary background
information.

This weekend's homework assignment is to read the first 10 pages of
Chapter 2, "General Structure," in the Unicode Standard Version 3.0:

    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/ch02.pdf

In particular, make sure you are familiar with the section beginning on
page 15 titled "Plain Text." There you will see the distinction that
the Unicode Standard makes between plain text and "fancy," or marked-up,
text.

Later on you will undoubtedly have questions about the apparent
exceptions to these principles, and we will do our best to answer them.
Please take this one step at a time, however.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California