Re: ZWJ and Latin Ligatures (was Re: (long) Re: Chromatic font research)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 07:26:29 EDT

At 11:34 -0600 2002-06-30, John H. Jenkins wrote:

>Remember, Unicode is aiming at encoding *plain text*. For the bulk
>of Latin-based languages, ligation control is simply not a matter of
>*plain text*-that is, the message is still perfectly correct whether
>ligatures are on or off. There are some exceptional cases. The
>ZWJ/ZWNJ is available for such exceptional cases.

In my paper http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2317.pdf I raised
a lot of questions about exceptions and the use of these. I don't
think they were ever all answered.My other papers, N2141 and N2147,
show a number of examples of ligation which is not particularly
predictable. That's what ZWJ us supposed to be for.

"Ligation is a normal if sometimes unpredictable feature in the
following European scripts: Armenian, Cyrillic, Greek, Ogham, Old
Church Slavonic, Old Hungarian, Runic."

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com