Re: ZWJ and Latin Ligatures

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 18:52:34 EDT

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I have to confess I don't understand what you are talking about at
> all. Get me them tools, John!

Ligature tables at a high level tell you things like "The glyph 'a'
and the glyph 'acute accent' should be merged to form the glyph
'aacute'." Internally, though, it reads more like "A #502 followed
by a #397 should be replaced by a #929", where the numbers (or
names, in some contexts) *represent* the actual glyph outlines.
You could write "#202 followed by #999 becomes SHAVIAN PEEP glyph"
without there being any actual outlines for #202 or #999, but as
John says, if something actually called for a #202 to be imaged,
the rendering software would go belly-up.

I hope this helps.

--
John Cowan                                jcowan@reutershealth.com
At times of peril or dubitation,          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan