Re: (long) Re: Chromatic font research

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 13:12:38 EDT

At 19:36 +0300 2002-07-04, John Hudson wrote:

>This is not Mac-only behaviour. So far I have yet to see a single
>OpenType font that uses the ZWJ to produce ligatures: they all
>proceed on the basis of applying a layout feature to regular text
>and affecting any sequence (e.g. f i) found in the feature coverage
>table in the font. Ironically, inserting a ZWJ in such a sequence is
>more likely to break a ligature than it is to form one.

A Runic OT font will want to use ZWJ and not another protocol.

I confess that when typesetting books for publication I do replace fi
with the hardcoded Mac Roman ligature because Quark doesn't seem to
do the replacement itself even if the option is turned on. This in
itself wrecks searching operations.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com