RE: unicode Digest V2 #167

From: Michael Jansson (mjan@em2-solutions.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 09:04:27 EDT

> Otto Stolz wrote:
> You don't need web fonts; it is enough to have installed fonts for the
> languages you can read -- which you normally would have,
> anyway. E. g.,

(Sigh....) Your average Internet user may not have a suitable font, may not
know how to install a font, may not be allowed to installed a font (e.g.
would have to ask their helpdesk at work), nor would not know where to find
a font. Also, I would need several different fonts for a variety of
platforms and you web page have to be encoded differently for different
fonts. Also, telling people to make changes to system files causes problems.
People make mistakes and bad fonts can seriously damage any OS.

You don't base a serious commercial web on such a solution, because people
won't use it. A solution for the public have to just work. Browsers should
support Unicode *and* web fonts, intelligently.

- Michael