RE: The pointless thread continues

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 10:58:18 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:
> Then your average Internet user should bloody well learn how
> to use a computer.

Being able to use a computer does not teach you how to install a font which
doesn't exist, or which you cannot afford.

For several scripts in modern usage, there are practically no workable
Unicode fonts in existence: Bengali, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Khmer,
Lao, Malayalam, Mongolian, Myanmar, Oriya, Sinhala, Telugu, Thaana, Tibetan.
Please contradict me, I'll be happy to be wrong!

I do not think it is pointless to seek (or even just dream) short-term
solutions for a problem which makes computers less useful in most of India
and South-East Asia.

It is definitely pointless to propose pointless solutions, such as "Transmit
Unicode in visual order" (going against Unicode's own rules) or "Just
install a font" (even if no font exist).

_ Marco