RE: The pointless thread continues

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 19:26:47 EDT

At 10:38 PM 7/5/02 +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>Many people know how to install a font on their computer, but they simply
>have no font to install. Or no computer where to install it: you cannot
>install your fonts in an Internet café.

You can ask for it to be installed in the cafe. It may not be a quick solution,
but it seems like something a reasonable cafe owner might do.

I think we also need to look at the flip side of this. The Delhi Times can
do handle a web font without problem, but John Doe (John Running Bear? Vajpayee
Doe?), with his cheap/free webspace can't install a web font, and it would
be very hard for him to do so even if he had permission.

>One cannot condemn things like web fonts when there is no better solution
>available.

I don't think anyone was condemning the idea of web fonts. But they obviously
aren't necessary for a web browser to display text, and anyone who isn't
willing to look at other solutions and availability of fonts before they argue
that they are necessary isn't going to get a warm reception.