Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 19:24:42 EDT

At 16:11 7/6/2002, John M. Fiscella wrote:

>You're right. PS Type 1 does not usually pose a problem (because,
>traditionally, the .notdef glyph is usually defined by just about every
>font-making program as: /.notdef 9 RD ND)
>
>But the killers are TrueType fonts, where, if the .notdef is not defined
>(commonly the case), Microsoft Windows draws a box whose width is that of
>'space'. Maybe, somehow, a patch can be applied to the system to prevent
>this.

In my tests with TT fonts (and also with CFF OpenType) in WordPad I have
not received .notdef glyphs, but I have received a blank spacing glyph,
which is even more frustrating because it is not immediately clear that
there is something wrong.

In any case, my point is that a) the issue of fonts that do not support
ZWJ/ZWNJ is irrelevant to my proposal for fonts that *do* support these
characters, and b) the only place for this issue to be resolved is in
system/application text handling. I would really prefer if we could keep
this discussion focused on my proposal to utilise the existing <rlig>
feature to handle ZWJ ligation, rather than worrying about legacy font issues.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Language must belong to the Other -- to my linguistic community
as a whole -- before it can belong to me, so that the self comes to its
unique articulation in a medium which is always at some level
indifferent to it. - Terry Eagleton