Re: Phaistos in ConScript

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 08:45:53 EDT

At 20:48 -0400 2002-07-08, John Cowan wrote:
>Michael Everson scripsit:
>> My point being that though Beijing and Hong Kong newspaper headlines
>> might present LTR or RTL directionality without mirroring, this
>> practice is rare or indeed unknown in Europe at 1700 BCE.
>
>In any event, the so-called RTL CJK is more like TTB-RTL with columns
>of size one. (That sentence deserves a jargon award of some sort.)

That analysis may appear to be the case for headlines or signs, but it
doesn't hold up for some multi-row photo captions or some movie subtitles.

(I'd provide a scan, but the newspaper I was going to use has since
switched from top-to-bottom to left-to-right. I should've kept some of
the issues that had "911" embedded in "rtl" headlines, too.)

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu