Re: Q: Filesystem Encoding

From: Barry Caplan (bcaplan@i18n.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 09:23:17 EDT

At 08:43 AM 7/10/2002 -0400, Jungshik Shin wrote:
>> In short: should I still stick to ASCII alone in filenames, or are there
>> filesystems where I really don't have to anymore? Thanks in advance.
>
> Definitely/unconditionally no for NTFS. As for Linux ext2(and most other
>Unix fs'), unless you mix up UTF-8 and legacy encodings (which you
>wouldn't because you have never used non-ASCII), it's all right to switch
>to UTF-8 and use non-ASCII chars.

But be aware that such filenames may or may not be able to be transferred *across* file systems.
Not only that, but, although I haven't tested in detail for a while, I would not be fully comfortable with middleware that is responsible for managing file names across systems either, such as FTP, email attachments, and Samba. Particularly in the case of FTP and email, just because one client works does not mean another one will.

Also keep in mind that even if the file name transfers exactly correct, there is no guarantee, except, for ASCII characters, that the system will have fonts to display the file name.

Barry Caplan
www.i18n.com