Re: *Why* are precomposed characters required for "backward

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:45:15 EDT

James E. Agenbroad scripsit:

> ISO 5426 - 1980, Extension of the Latin alphabet coded character set for
> bibliographic interchange, and its similar US counterpart, ANSI Z39.64,
> Extended Latin alphabet coded character set for bibliographic use
> (ANSEL), do contain both separate codes for diacritics for use with any
> letter (e.g. tilde, grave, cedilla, etc.) and codes for characters which
> could have been further decomposed (L with stroke, O with stroke, D with
> stroke (all with codes for both upper and lower case) etc.) but were not.

AFAIK though there is no diacritic stroke or horn in 5426, so there is
no normalization issue: what is represented as a base letter has no alternative
representation with a diacritic.

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big