Re: TrueType signature bits

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 22:07:03 EDT

Raymond Mercier wrote,

> As part of the TrueType font signature up to 128 bits are set to mark the
> unicode ranges covered by the font.
> What is the latest assignment ?
> As far as I know it goes up to bit 83, with bits 8, 12, 14, 27, 58, 84-127
> reserved.

This matches the latest information seen here.

> What about the higher planes ? Are no bits set to cover this ?
> Apparently the Unicode consortium is not concerned with this, and one has
> to go the Microsoft site to see how the bits are assigned.

Yes, this is part of font technology and is beyond the realm of
Unicode. The Microsoft site should have the most current
information. (The Unicode ranges supported data is part of
the "OS/2" table in TrueType fonts.)

Right now, for a TrueType font supporting non-BMP, the
bit for SURROGATES should be set. (It's bit 57.)

Best regards,

James Kass.