Re: TrueType signature bits

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 18:09:00 EDT

At 02:11 PM 15-07-02, Raymond Mercier wrote:

>Do you know what role the unicode bits play in the use of the font - in MS
>Word, for example ?
>As far as I can see, even if the bits are set carelessly, or not set at
>all, the font seems to work in Word.

At the moment, they are mainly of use when the font lacks 8-bit codepage
support -- e.g. it is an Indic font, for which there are no registered
codepages on the system -- and an application needs to determine whether
this font is suitable to display a particular text. There are likely to be
other fallback mechanisms behind this one, e.g. checking for the presence
of particular characters in the font cmap table.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Language must belong to the Other -- to my linguistic community
as a whole -- before it can belong to me, so that the self comes to its
unique articulation in a medium which is always at some level
indifferent to it. - Terry Eagleton