Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 06:54:44 EDT

I sense a headache coming on soon....

From: "Michael Jansson" <mjan@em2-solutions.com>

> You might be OK if you play by the rules. Then again, you might
> not ;-)

Kind of endearing, we all love our own technologies. Sometimes you do go a
bit too far, though. I think your products are pretty awesome, enough so
that you can allow other products their right to be as good as they are. :-)

> A few details; You can not use neither Arial Unicode MS nor Code
> 2000 to show Indic text with Uniscribe on Windows, as Uniscribe
> works with OpenType Layout fonts (fonts containing more than just
> the glyphs to support a language, i.e. glyph shaping and positioning
> information). Other shaping engines may be able to use these fonts
> though. The version of the fonts and Uniscribe would affect this
> behavior as well.

Yes, good that you mention this -- especially since the version of Arial
Unicode MS on my machine has the following OpenType layout tables:
    arab
    deva
    gujr
    guru
    hani
    kana
    knda
    taml

Whilst Code 2000 does even better with:
    arab
    beng
    deva
    gujr
    guru
    khmr
    lao
    katn
    taml
    telu

I guess they have decided these would be nice to have?

> Also, there is nothing wrong with neither Latha nor Mangal,

Actually there is -- you are not allowed to redistribute them. This would
make putting them on a Win9x machine a violation of the license agreement.
Even if I go long with the Bard's opinion about the Law, even he would not
claim that violation of it was a good thing in and of itself? ;-)

> nor are these the only fonts that can be used to show Indic
> languages on Windows.

Obviously I do not think this, since I gave two other examples off of the
top of my head that meet the condition you gave (Latin chars in the font?).

> Win9x simply depends on Code Page information in fonts for
> various legacy reasons, and are as such not equipped to handle
> "pure" Unicode fonts (this is at least my understand of this issue).

Good thing I mentioned files that pass this test. Note that Office is
perfectly happy to install Arial Unicode MS on a Win9x machine.

> If you want to use Indic Unicode fonts with Uniscribe on Win9x,
> then you better make sure that you build the fonts for Win9x
> yourself.

I sense another "no browser supports Unicode" thread coming on, and I feel
ill. Please do not do this. All you need to do is make sure you have the
most recent version of the font that contains the info you want. Being a
font expert is a weonderful thing if you are one, but if you are not yyou do
not have to consider hari kari or anything. :-)

> Then again, even that may not work... ;-)

Well, I suppose they can always turn to Fairy, right? <g,d&r>

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/