Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:32:20 EDT

Michael Jansson <mjan at em2 dash solutions dot com> wrote:

> Giving advice to people that they should go ahead and update their
> Win9x machines with Uniscribe is plain unethical. It's not tested on
> Win9x. There are known issues when doing that. Telling people to
> download and install fonts, that may or may not have been tested on
> all platforms, is equally unethical. period.

My Windows 95 machine displays Unicode text *substantially* better with
Uniscribe than it did without. Not only glyph support, but RTL and
Arabic shaping work well -- something I was once told couldn't be done
with Win95. In fact, the only significant problem I have had, apart
from missing glyphs for certain scripts and characters, was with the
Hawaiian Web-font example that Michael Jansson asked me to try.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California