Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 13:33:37 EDT

At 03:10 AM 16-07-02, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:

>Since you are not allowed to redistribute Latha, Mangal, et. al., this is
>really not going to be too much of a hardship for anyone playing by the
>rules, is it? :-)

There are other OpenType Indic fonts, not from Microsoft, including
freeware fonts*. There are currently more than 3,000 members of the VOLT
user group, many of them developing new fonts for Indic scripts and
languages. Most of these fonts use Mangal as a model, so they also do not
include any codepage support.

John Hudson

* See, for an example R.K. Joshi's Raghu Devanagari typeface, which is
freely distributed by NCST.

         http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Language must belong to the Other -- to my linguistic community
as a whole -- before it can belong to me, so that the self comes to its
unique articulation in a medium which is always at some level
indifferent to it. - Terry Eagleton