Re: Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 14:11:24 EDT

At 08:21 AM 16-07-02, Doug Ewell wrote:

>In the case of e x p a n d e d text (where the expansion is performed
>by font settings or line layout, instead of brute-force spacing as I
>just used), it's true that an ill-placed ligature may look really bad.
>This has little to do with ZWJ, though. The rendering system must
>decide when to ligate and when not to, regardless of whether ligation is
>requested by ZWJ, by markup, or by an application's global setting.

Well, this is one of the areas in which there is a difference of opinion.
One school of thought says 'ZWJ means ligate this sequence, if possible, in
all cirucmstances because that is what the author of the document has
specified'. The other school of thought says 'ZWJ means ligate this
sequence, if possible, but then treat the ligature like any other and feel
free to break it if other layout circumstances, e.g. letterspacing, would
typically break a ligature'.

Your comments seem to support the second view, but I'm wondering whether
the same interpretation would hold true in the use of ZWJ for Runic or Old
Hungarian. Michael?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Language must belong to the Other -- to my linguistic community
as a whole -- before it can belong to me, so that the self comes to its
unique articulation in a medium which is always at some level
indifferent to it. - Terry Eagleton