RE: CJK character lookup

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:56:35 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Miikka-Markus Alhonen wrote:

> On 19-Jul-02 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > I have problem looking for characters in CJK Extension. I want to find code
> > for a character made of 藥 above 鼇. This character has the same meaning
> > as
> > 渦. I spend this whole morning reading CJK Extension A chartmap. I can't
>
> Do you mean U+46D2?

  I'm afraid not. It seems like the char. is not included in Unicode
3.0. Perhaps, Ext. B or Ext. C has it.

> > find it there. The chartmap is arranged by some order that I cannot guess
> > out. I thought it is ordered by the number of strokes of its radical

> Yes, first you look at the number of strokes in the radical ("speech"),
> which is 7. These characters are located in U+46AE -- U+4729 (note that
snip...

> After that you count the number of remaining strokes, which is 5, just
> next to other characters with 5 additional strokes, U+46D1 and U+46D3.

  This works if you know which section a character in question belongs
to, the original CJK ideograph section, Ext. A, Ext. B, Ext. C. Or,
you have to go through all the sections one by one. That's why we have
Han Radical-Stroke Index in section 15.1 of TUS 3.0, isn't it?

  BTW, does Unicode 3.2 have an updated Han Radical-Stroke Index with
Ext. B?

  Jungshik Shin