RE: CJK character lookup

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 12:16:27 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Raymond Mercier wrote:
> At 09:56 AM 7/19/2002 -0400, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> > find code
> > meaning

> > > Do you mean U+46D2?

> If I may comment (putting it in U+ terms): U+46D2, in Extension A,
> certainly looks to me like U+5DE7 over U+8A00.

  Yes, you're absolutely right. U+46D2(䛒) is the character !
I'm sorry for my confusion and causing this unnecessary traffic
on the list.

  I should have read Zhang Weiwu's original
message instead of Miikka-Markus Alhonen's reply to that. The latter
was mislabelled as in US-ASCII although it's actually in UTF-8 while
the former was correctly tagged as in UTF-8. I set up my mail client
(Pine 4.44+my patch under a UTF-8 terminal) to treat messages untagged or
tagged as US-ASCII as if they're in EUC-KR (a Korean encoding) because
I receive so many _untagged_ emails in EUC-KR. When this is applied to
genuine US-ASCII (as opposed to mislabelled UTF-8 messages), there's
no harm. However, this morning this led U+5DE7(巧) and U+8A00(言) in
Miikka-Markus's reply(mistagged as US-ASCII) to 'transform' magically
themselves to U+85E5(藥) and U+9F8D(龍). So, I briefly wondered why
Miikka-Markus wrote about 'speech' radical while Zhang Weiwu asked for
a character made up of U+85E5(藥) above U+9F8D(龍). Then I thought
that Miikka-Markus might have just taken a simple example with 'speech'
radical and went on to write my reply. I also wrote it's not likely to be
in Ext. A because a 'gigantic' char. with U+85E5(藥) above U+9F8D(龍)
looked like one of those 'fancy' characters used to name race horses in
Hong Kong :-)

  Jungshik Shin