Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 13:23:24 EDT

From: "Markus Scherer" <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>
> For that matter, I am not sure how many Germans (>5 years out of school)
> know hyphenation rules and such other than by gut feel.

A little bit off-topic:

I think all Germans are quite confused now when it comes to spelling in
hyphenation because of the new rules. Du to the transition, you see German
texts set in both old and new spelling (and sometimes in a mix of both), so
the "gut feel" actually suffers and gets confused.

I know a lot of Germans (>5 years out of school), even German language
teachers, who claim that they don't know and don't understand the new rules.
I think it is quite a problem because the "learning by reading" effect is
extreamly weakend at the moment. I'm not German and I notice that I'm
loosing confidence in what is correctly spelled or hyphenated because I keep
seeing various variants all over the place (and if you see a poster or an
ad, you don't automatically know "oh, this is new spelling").

Adam