Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 15:49:36 EDT

At 12:14 PM 19-07-02, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> >Basically it says at the end you don't need ligatures anymore and if
> >you really need it, leave it to the experts, they have a gut feeling,
> >as nobody understands the old rules anymore. The author is very firm
> >about Americans trying to understand German ligatures: Don't even try!
>
>This seems to be supporting the suggestion that default rendering behaviour
>for German should be that no standard Latin ligatures should appear.

It suggests that German ligation should be described by trained German
typesetters who understand the rules, and that this human-held knowledge
should be recorded before the last of these professionals dies.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Language must belong to the Other -- to my linguistic community
as a whole -- before it can belong to me, so that the self comes to its
unique articulation in a medium which is always at some level
indifferent to it. - Terry Eagleton