Unicode mention (Urdu)

From: Alistair Vining (alistair.vining@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 21:07:07 EDT

Urdu website breaks new ground:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2139000/2139300.stm

Bold claim, but maybe true:
"The launch of BBCUrdu.com is a landmark in online publishing as it is the first news
site to use Urdu text, rather than scanned-in images of printed materials."

Unicode shout:
"The font works right now across multiple Windows operating systems. Because it is
Unicode, it can technically work across multiple current and future operating systems
as fonts become available."

The cross-platform message somewhat dulled by the font [Urdu Naskh Asiatype] download
being a Windows .exe file with (judging by a message that popped up) a copy of the
uniscribe .dll...

Just like the person who took the screenshot, I get boxes in IE6, but I'm sure it
works for someone. Worked in Mozilla before I downloaded the font, which is a
testament to Unicode and Arial Unicode MS, I guess.

Al.