Re: a brife dictionary for CJK character

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 04:35:45 EDT

Zhang Weiwu wrote,

> I believe there is a database in unicode.org briefly described the 'reason' of every CJK-A and CJK-B ideograph, because every
character submitter must have provided basical information about the characters he submitted (the meaning of the character or the
character it equals to). Is it copy-right free? I mean, can I get it and use it without pay?

Here's a link to the 'read me' file,

http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/ReadMe.txt

The database is in plain text at 25.1M and also available in ZIP format,
much smaller. It can be downloaded and used internally freely, but
may not be redistributed. It includes much useful information,
including the main radical number, the number of residual strokes
needed to draw the character, how to pronounce the character in
various languages, English definition, alternate mappings/encodings,
as well as the sourcing information you seek.

The data is fairly comprehensive, but, especially in the recent
extensions, not every field in every record has an entry.

Best regards,

James Kass.