Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (avarangal@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 05:05:15 EDT

As Michka wrote, (INFITT)WG02 at present is not dealing with the reform.
However the matter is being discussed and will be one of the major topic in
forthcoming INFITT conference in California. I can assure you that this is a
distinct possibility in the near future.

In any case, I did not write to Unicode to discuss about reform. I wrote to
show that in Tamil text can be read in Linear fashion and we do not need to
wait for another 15 years for the mobile phones to support texting in Tamil,
like we been waiting for a fully functioning support in computers for the
past 15 years and still awaiting for h/w upgrades.

The other point is, in the reform, there is no call for change in how Tamil
Unicode is defined now. It is just a matter of how the complex rendering can
be avoided and still get better, yes better redability of Tamil text.

One request, shall we discuss matters relating to reform at INFITT(WG02).
Shall we discuss how to implement Text Messaging in this forum. The glyph
shapes for texting is a matter useful for other languages too. Do we think
that we can discuss about character shapes for texting, here.

Thanks to Dough Ewell for correcting by giving information on basic
rendering and complex rendering.