Re: Dublin Conference: Re: ISO/IEC 10646 versus Unicode

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 13:12:29 EDT

At 13:14 +0100 2002-07-23, Marion Gunn wrote:

>Unicode was a worthwhile project - just not worth the thousands per
>year it cost EGT!

It was worth every single penny. I regret not one penny of the
"thousands per year" which were spent between February 1994 and
September 2001 on standardization travel and related expenses. That
investment has benefited both the standardization community and the
world community at large.

Continuing complaints about this sound like the whines of a
begrudger. (For those who are unfamiliar with this peculiarly Irish
phenomenon, the begrudger is "the person who resents another's
success. There was a nuance to this: the begrudger often encourages
the other person to strive after success, but once that has been
achieved, seeks to pull the other down." -- Raymond Deane, Irish
Times, 1996-09-24.)

It is a pity that you are unhappy about the choices we made between
1994 and 2001. You weren't unhappy when you made them. But despite
the fact that you did not change the name of your limited company,
the partnership between "E" and "G" is now over, and (as I surmise
from the amount of private mail I have received regarding this
thread) you are not gaining any allies by harping on this point.

I would be grateful if you would cease making these revisionist
complaints on this list.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com