Re: Dublin Conference: Re: ISO/IEC 10646 versus Unicode

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 11:13:12 EDT

I do not understand John Cowan's anger, and I do not take personally his
accusation of racial discrimination, as he is clearly unaware that I
have, for many years, personally fostered/facilitated and even led
multi-racial delegations from Ireland to attend various standardization
bodies, but, if John regularly reads this list, he hardly needs
reminding that EGT financed many, many such trips without me, and had no
qualms about entrusting Ireland's vote to trusted colleagues from other
countries on most of those occasions.

I am not ashamed to display a conference nametag displaying clearly my
country of origin, and would expect anyone from any other country to be
equally proud to display theirs, when appropriate, even if only as a
dual label (for example, at that Dublin conference, when the silliness
of doing otherwise became obvious).

I am sorry, Sarasvati, about the advertising - you must do as you wish
about that - I think your list a good place to recruit, as others before
me, fresh talent for work of which most subscribers, I think, approve,
and, since Unicode Conferences generally feature large quantities of
advertising from global IT vendors, I see no harm at all in Unicode's
allowing small companies a slice of the same here, with your permission.

I do not feel at all comfortable continuing with this discussion, and
would prefer to have my questions about Unicode (its staffing levels)
and WG 2 (its timetable for 10646) answered, as more appropriate to this
list.

mg

--
Marion Gunn * E G T (Estab.1991) vox: +353-1-2839396 * mgunn@egt.ie
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Contae Átha Cliath; Éire