Unicode certification - was RE: Dublin Conference:

From: David Possin (dave_i18n@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 14:24:41 EDT

It would be intereting and helpful to be able to find out if a product
is Unicode-compliant before purchasing it. There are various test
institutions out there that perform that work for other standards. I
don't think it would be Unicode.org's responsibility to provide for the
certification, to avoid membership issues, maybe it should create the
certification requirements, though.

I find myself wasting a lot of time figuring out if a third-party
product or a certain version can handle Unicode and/or up to which
version it is compliant to. I would like to be able to see a little
Unicode logo on a box stamped with a release number, making it the
manufacturer's responsibility to prove it. It works for operating
system releases and other stuff, why not here as well?

Dave

--- "David J. Perry" <perryd@telocity.com> wrote:
> I think that it's very wise of the Unicode Consortium not to certify
> or
> officially promote any particular implementation. After all, some
> programmers are more skilled than others, and some implementations
> may
> not be of the quality one might wish. Or what if a member company
> produced a decent implementation, but the competing product by a
> small,
> non-member company was better? This could be a real mess. The
> Unicode
> web site does have a list of Unicode-enabled products (I'm not sure
> how
> complete it is), which is helpful and appropriate--but I wouldn't
> want
> to see anything beyond that.
>
> David

=====