Re: logical order (and Tamil)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 14:17:38 EDT

From: "Michael (michka) Kaplan" <michka@trigeminal.com>

> Yes, you are correct -- I misspoke here. I meant character properties.

I meant *glyph* properties. Oops!

The incompatibility of Linear Tamil in its current form is not with Unicode,
technically; it is with the existing mechanisms of shaping engines used by
Apple, Microsoft, and others. It would be fine for systems that have no such
shaping engines to use fonts designed with Linear Tamil in mind, but at some
point the decision for a system as to whether to support shaping in fonts or
in GDI is "six of one, half a dozen of other other" and there is no specific
benefit to ignoring the support that exists on a system and replacing it
with one's own font-based system.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/