Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (avarangal@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 15:53:43 EDT

Dear Michael Everson,

Please take the point that I did not write to this forum to discuss
about tamil script reform.

Still let me make it clear that,

We are not planning to change the script to fit the computers.
We are planning change the script to

1/ Increase the literary rate by manyfolds yes by many folds. (making
it easier for Tamils, who does not have the means to spent extra
resourses/hours during theire infant/junior ages to learn the
Language.

2/ Children living in countries otherthan Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka
will immensly benifit to learn theire mother toung. Millions of
children at present do this via Weekend schooling facilities and they
find it extremly difficulty in that very short time to learn the
language, only because the writing system is flawed.

3/ Tamil Nadu governments willingness to look into this problem is
there and have done some changes in the very recent past and that
change is still sinking.

Anyway, if any one interested in discussing the mrits of reform, i
urge them please join the appropriate forum for this.

Regards
Sinnathurai Srivas